Altered Forms and Surface Design
This eight-week Intermediate class will focus on altered forms as well as surface design. If you know how to throw a bowl and cylinder and are interested in learning more advanced surface decorations this class is for you.
The class time will be divided between making objects, and surface decoration. Techniques covered will include combining multiple thrown parts to create more complex forms, making sprig molds, and working with colored slips techniques including mishima, sgraffito, and stencils. We will explore surface further using underglazes, image transfers, underglaze decals, and a variety of glaze techniques.
Class will meet once a week for 2½ hours. Included in the cost is 25 lbs. of clay, 4 free squares of glaze firing and open studio time during our office hours to practice learning. Fired Up Studios will have some tools available for use during class, but you will need to bring bats and bat pins.
Class Size: Minimum 4 / Maximum 10
Class Cost **
While we have designed the cost of these classes to be all inclusive (except for the suggested bats and bat pins), we have found that students often wish to produce more work than what can be created with the materials provided. Rather than restrict how much you can make, we allow you to make as much as you would like for an additional fee.
Possible Additional Fees **
Clay: $18 per 25 lb. bag
Glaze Firing (Cone 6 or 10)
Base Rate: $12 per square foot
Maximum size: 2 feet in any dimension
- Add $5 per item over 9" tall but under 12" tall
- Add $10 per item over 12" wide/tall but under 18" wide/tall
- Add $15 per item over 18" wide/tall but under 24" wide/tall
- Stuffers (items under 3" in any dimension): 1/4 square allowed at no additional fee. Add $1 per additional 1/4 square.
Gift Certificates Available
Introduce your friends to the joys of making pottery. It's the perfect gift for someone who has everything.
Call our office at 612-852-2787 to purcahse.
Due to lack of demand, we do not have any sessions of this class scheduled at this time. If you are interested in this class, please let us know.
If you have questions, please call us at 612-852-2787.
- Classes are adults only (18+)
- The class cost must be paid in full when you register.
- Wear clothes that you can get dirty, this includes shoes.
- Review our Classroom Rules and Responsibilities
- If you cancel:
- 1 week prior to the 1st class session, you will be refunded for the class fee minus a $50 administration fee.
- If you cancel before the 2nd class session, the administration fee increases to $100. The remaining class fee will be refunded to you.
- No refunds will be given after the start of the 2nd class session.
- If Fired Up Studios cancels the class, you will be given a full refund.
* Pottery tools, buckets, and towels are available for you to use while you are enrolled in a class, but are not yours to keep. Please leave your tools at Fired Up Studios for other students to use.
** Class schedules and pricing are subject to change. The listed class rates do not include the online booking fees.